Glibc replaces kernel headers [Was Re: LFS-20070209 shadow not playing nice with more_control_pkg_man]

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 15:03:48 PDT 2007

On 3/2/07, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/2/07, Matthew Burgess <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> > On Friday 02 March 2007 22:50, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for the info, Arden. That's good enough for me to ensure that
> > > the scsi headers only get installed by glibc. Patch attached.
> >
> > Patch looks fine to me, feel free to commit it Dan, thanks.  Is this worth
> > reporting upstream (i.e. to David Woodhouse) - both the fact that Glibc
> > installs SCSI headers and that the headers in the kernel tarball cause
> > userland compilation failures?
>
> Well, I'm pretty sure knows about it since he's the maintainer for the
> Fedora glibc-kernheaders package and they're doing the same thing.
> Still, I'd be interested in seeing any conversation on the subject.

I'm applying this patch now, but I just wanted to touch on the Fedora
thing quickly. Their headers are now generated as a separate -headers
package for kernel. This is what it says in the spec file:

# glibc provides scsi headers for itself, for now
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/include/scsi
rm -f $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/include/asm*/atomic.h
rm -f $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/include/asm*/io.h
rm -f $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/include/asm*/irq.h

http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/devel/kernel/kernel-2.6.spec?view=markup

atomic.h, io.h and irq.h don't get installed on x86 looking at my recent build.

--
Dan