Iproute2 broken manpage symlinks

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 19:37:44 PDT 2007

Iproute's build creates two dangling symlinks in the man directory. I
suspect something changed between releases, but the Makefile never got
updated. Anyway, here's what happens.

The install target tries to create two symlinks from tc-bfifo.8 and
tc-pfifo.8 to tc-bpfifo.8. However, tc-bpfifo.8 is not longer
distributed. In fact, tc-bfifo.8 is now a real manpage and tc-pfifo.8
is a symlink to it in the tree. An `ln -sf' blows those away on
install and leaves you with two dangling symlinks.

This can easily be fixed by just suppressing the symbolic linking in
the Makefile:

sed -i '/tc-pbfifo.8/d' Makefile

One other possible tweak is to restore tc-pfifo.8 -> tc-bfifo.8
because the install just copies them and tc-pfifo.8 ends up being a
copy of tc-bfifo.8 instead of a link.

ln -svf tc-bfifo.8 /usr/share/man/man8/tc-pfifo.8

That's pretty trivial, but I thought I'd throw it out there for full disclosure.

--
Dan