64-bit vs 32-bit

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 15:31:18 PDT 2007

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Thanks Bryan.  That is a very interesting result.  It's only one data
> point, but it tends to confirm other reports that I have seen that 64
> bit processing isn't significantly faster for most tasks.
>
> If you are running a server with > 4G Ram and very large data sets (i.e.
> a large database) the additional memory address size would be a definite
> advantage.  Also if you are doing very compute intensive tasks such as
> solving systems of differential equations (e.g. computational fluid
> dynamics), 64-bit processing can make a difference.
>
> Until I see a need, I'm going to stick with 32-bit computing.  YMMV

If you have a generic peice of code targeted to run on all x86 cpus
(32bit and 64bit) regardless of the amount of registers / banks the
processor has it's going to take just as long to get the job done,
within a reasonable difference in time. But where you see a difference
is when that piece of code is tailored to that processor. You can
definitely also see a difference in math processing. I'll have to run
some benchmarks. Probably be some time before I don't have my hands tied
behind my back though.

Personal Opinion: My AMD Athlon X2 4400+ (2.4ghz) seems to be just
slightly faster then my P4 3ghz (Prescott). It takes probably almost
20-30 more minutes to build clfs-sysroot (through xorg) on my P4. Bear
in mind that the LFS build on the P4 is substantially older then the
CLFS build on my AMD.