Little note on psmisc

steve crosby steve.crosby at gmail.com
Thu May 10 16:55:09 PDT 2007

On 5/11/07, M.Canales.es <macana at macana-es.com> wrote:
> El Jueves, 10 de Mayo de 2007 21:11, Bruce Dubbs escribió:
>
> > Looking at the source and then running `genl -help` I get
> >
> > $ ./genl -help
> > Usage: genl [ OPTIONS ] OBJECT | help }
> > where  OBJECT := { ctrl etc }
> >        OPTIONS := { -s[tatistics] | -d[etails] | -r[aw] }
> >
> > But I have no idea what that means.
>
> After looking also at include/linux/genetlink.h, looks like genl is a tool for
> monitoring "generic netlink linux sockets" (what is that??), similar to what
> "ip monitor" do for devices, addresses, and routes.

Netlink is a method of communicating between kernel and userspace I
believe - the netfilter modules use this new technology to replace the
old logging methods. Basically you setup a "socket" in the kernel, and
then userspace can use that to communicate to a kernel module - this
can be bi-directional and multi-cast too, so you can hang a userspace
process on a netlink socket and receive output from the kernel module
- useful for accounting, audting, etc.

--
-- -
Steve Crosby