udev-110 ->111 changed behaviour for naming net-devices?

Jens Stroebel drifter at bcsoft.de
Mon May 21 04:49:00 PDT 2007

			Hello.

I tried to follow the LFS-devel book on udev but ran into the following:

Setup:
- kernel 2.6.21
- udev-111
- 2 network cards; one builtin (broadcomm, using tg3), one connected via
pcmcia (using 8139too)
- first network card is assigned name eth0 via udev-rule
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="net", BUS=="pci", ID=="0000:02:00.0", \
    NAME="eth0"

While with udev-110, the cards got named eth0 and eth1, with udev-111,
the second card gets eth1 at recognition (bootlog) but in the course of
affairs gets renamed to eth1_rename.

This prevents the usual network setup from happening correctly, as the
scripts would like to assign address to eth1.

I am aware that I could force eth1 onto the device with an udev-rule
like the above for eth0, but would like to avoid this if at all possible.

Has anybody here any information about why the behaviour of udev could
have changed in this way? (did look into the rules distributed under
etc/udev/rules.d/, but it seems only a script concerning storage
[60-persistent-storage.rules] has changed between 110+111...)

		greets,
		  Jens
drifter at bcsoft.de
			23.....56.......drifting
By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, By the beans of Java
do thoughts acquire speed,  hands acquire shaking,  the shaking
becomes a warning, By caffeine alone do I set my mind in motion