udev-110 ->111 changed behaviour for naming net-devices?

Jens Stroebel drifter at bcsoft.de
Tue May 22 09:03:39 PDT 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 06:22:07PM -0400, Bryan Kadzban wrote:

> But if you remove all your rules and reboot, udev will generate new
> rules for all your NICs, so Alexander's suggestion of removing them all
> is a good idea.  Just beware that what you want isn't possible.
>
> (Why do you want it, by the way?)

That's because we install a laptop with a pcmcia-plugged network card.
Should someone at a later time change this card (e.g. it is defect),
the MAC would change, too.

This would lead to the pcmcia network card not getting the name the
vanished card had, in spite of being in the same place and having to
fulfill the same tasks (which it won't, because it'd have another name
and the network configs wouldn't match anymore).

Would we use the laptop for ourselves only, it would be OK to be forced
to e.g. erase the persistent-net.rules script.
But this is not the case.

So the NIC in the PCMCIA slot should "just work" as eth1.

		greets,
		  Jens
drifter at bcsoft.de
		23.....56.......drifting
It hurts sometimes more than we can bear.
If we could live without passion, maybe
we'd know some kind of peace.
But we would be hollow.
Empty rooms, shuttered and dank...