udev-110 ->111 changed behaviour for naming net-devices?

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Tue May 22 09:46:18 PDT 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 06:03:39PM +0200, Jens Stroebel wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 06:22:07PM -0400, Bryan Kadzban wrote:
>
> > (Why do you want it, by the way?)
>
> That's because we install a laptop with a pcmcia-plugged network card.
> Should someone at a later time change this card (e.g. it is defect),
> the MAC would change, too.

Ah.

Would it work to use by-path persistence?  That's not supported in the
book or by the udev developers because (e.g.) USB devices change their
paths way too often.  But if these laptops only have one PCMCIA slot,
then that might work.

I had a preliminary by-path patch for udev somewhere, let me see if I
can find it...  Ah:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-hotplug-devel&m=117141213806593&w=2

however, reading it again, I said that I didn't think it'd work with
PCMCIA devices.  If I knew how those devices showed up in sysfs, I could
probably add it (otherwise you could just treat this patch as a starting
point).