Shadow Maintenance (was Re: download location for shadow down since a while ?)

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Thu May 24 19:10:42 PDT 2007

Mark Rosenstand wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 08:02 -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
>> On 5/14/07, Jens Stroebel <drifter at bcsoft.de> wrote:
>> >
>> > I've been trying for some time now to get the shadow-4.0.18.1 source
>> > from ftp://ftp.pld.org.pl/software/shadow/shadow-4.0.18.1.tar.bz2 ;
>> > the site is not resolvable, though.
>>
>> Yeah, that's about the least reliable server on the internet :) You
>> can just use a mirror for now.
>
> It's _unresolvable_ and has been so for several months. I don't think
> it's coming back.
>
> pld.org.pl redirects to pld-linux.org, and the latest version of shadow
> at their FTP site is 4.0.3.
>
> I haven't gotten any traffic from their mailing list since Feb 1, which
> was the maintainer telling that he was busy with his new job.

AFAICT shadow is dead. The maintainer has a history of.. um, shall we say,
being difficult. This is evidenced by a FAQ on the PLD site:

http://www.pld-linux.org/FAQ#head-8d1d084c78d30202351371109aa23ef2350f8c0f

In the following bug report there is mention of Debian possibly taking
over maintenance:

I sure hope they do..

Regards
Greg