LFS and 64-bit hosts

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 13:58:55 PDT 2007

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:20:02AM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
>> On 9/30/07, Chris Staub <chris at beaker67.com> wrote:

> So, I agree that
> until the jh branch is merged, the book should be telling people
> that only x86 is supported.

This is reasonable.  We had to go through the same type of thing when we
went to a 2.6 kernel.

IMO, a note on the webpage http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/read.html
and in the svn version of the book in the section "Host System
Requirements" really should be sufficient.  The notes should also say
that x86_64 capability is planned for LFS 7.0.

The point of users not reading the intro pages should not be a problem.
 When they ask for support, just point them to the appropriate page.

I just updated http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/download.html.  See
if that page's note seems appropriate and I'll update read.html the same
way.

  -- Bruce