LFS and 64-bit hosts

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 15:59:54 PDT 2007

Ken Moffat wrote:

> Assuming that x86_64 will be added (ooh, a nice warm winter with
> bootloader and usability («whaddya mean, I can't use flash plugins»)
> flamewars, and maybe a bit of endianness heat ;-), we can revisit the
> wording at that point.

I really want to add a section, perhaps at the beginning of "How to
Build an LFS System" about x86_64 vs x86 explaining the advantages and
disadvantages of each so the users can make an informed choice at the
beginning.  We also need to say that we are not doing multi-lib and how
that affects the system.

I'm planning on writing that portion when the jh version gets merged
into the trunk.

> Joking aside, perhaps we should be thinking about supporting apple on
> intel - some are 64-bit, I think, but they all have at least a
> different bootloader.  Of course, if nobody has the hardware we might
> be reliant on a 'contrib' chapter.  No, I'm not sure I like that
> idea.

I think that may be a good candidate for the wiki.  We could do a better
job of integrating that in with the  book.

  -- Bruce