-mtune for Glibc

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Oct 5 07:37:49 PDT 2007

Richard Gill wrote:
> Hi successfully built the entire chapter 5, then start of chapter 6
> (because then I deviate), with the following flags for *all* software:
> CFLAGS="-O3 -pipe -march=i686 -mtune=i686"
> CXXFLAGS="$CFLAGS -Wno-deprecated"
>
> thus binutils and glibc are built with those flags. I verified in
> generated logs, and just some parts weren't built with them:
> libiberty, some stages of gcc, because configure override the flags.

Try building seamonkey with these flags - it will build correctly, but
crash at startup. In fact, the LiveCD uses rather pessimistic CFLAGS
(-O2 -pipe -s -fno-strict-aliasing -mtune=i686) by default, and very
pessimistic CFLAGS for some packages (xfmedia is compiled with -O0
because of a problem on x86_64). This was done because in the past, I
found optimization-related bugs in too many packages (slirp, qemu, Mesa,
mutt and even reiser4-patched Grub) and gave up hunting the rest down
individually. I fully understand that this is a workaround, not a solution.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov