sparc64 built from jh branch

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 12 07:28:49 PDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 06:30:11AM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> What does that have to do with sparc64? You're the only person I know
> that has one, so that means development and support is 100% you. And
> the chances I get one are about the same as Richard moving back to
> Texas :)

Ebay, $250. If you watch, you can find even better deals than that
sometimes.

> The other issue for me would be quality. If we're hacking every other
> package to make it work on sparc64, that begins to degrade the book on
> appearance. This is a much more minor point, but basically, I wouldn't
> want the book to start to be littered by sparc64 specific fixes.

I can sympathize with these concerns. In fact, they are probably the
biggest reasons that I hesitated adding the changes.

> Having met those two conditions, I would be totally fine with putting
> it in the book. Another alternative would be to maintain a branch
> we're less supported (and possibly broken) arches were added. After
> they proved mature enough, they could be added to the main book.

Well, to be honest, that's kind of how I was viewing the jh branch.
Although, if there are going to be more people working on these concepts
and helping with experimental ideas, perhaps it could be better named.

--
JH