mktemp, tempfile & coreutils

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 18 07:22:36 PDT 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 00:05:19 +0100, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 06:41:02PM -0400, Bryan Kadzban wrote:
>>
>> Matthew Burgess wrote:
>>
>> > I think we've given plenty of time for any users of the `tempfile'
>> > binary to have been updated now, so any remaining users should be
>> > patched to use `mktemp'.
>>
> I think we're far enough away
> from a release that maybe we should just try without it, to see what
> breaks ?

Everyone seems to agree that this is the way forward.  So, how about we just remove the current mktemp patch, rather than wait for coreutils to make a release containing their implementation?  This could give us a little more time to root out any scripts that still call `tempfile', though from Bryan & Bruce's investigations, there don't appear to be too many.

Regards,

Matt.