mktemp, tempfile & coreutils

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Thu Oct 18 09:45:26 PDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 09:09:21AM -0600, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Agreed.  Note, though, that grub-0.9x is no longer being maintained,
> so upstream won't accept whatever patch we come up with.

Right; if we patch it (as opposed to simply moving to grub2, although I
think that will be a while), we'll have to keep the patch local.  That's
unfortunate, but given the way grub development seems to be working, I
think it's unavoidable.

> So, it looks like Grub2 could use a patch to correctly set log_file by
> first correctly setting mklog to call mktemp and then using log_file
> when attempting to create the device map file.  Or, the code could
> simply be cleaned up by removing the unused log_file variable and the
> comment immediately preceeding it.

I'd say remove the unused log_file variable and references to $mklog.  I
suspect those two lines were probably overlooked when the log_file stuff
was removed (though I don't know for sure -- actually I'm not even sure
that the grub2 code was built off the grub1 code, although grub-install
looks similar).