[LFS Trac] #2094: Add a new section for build results

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Oct 21 01:40:33 PDT 2007

Justin R. Knierim wrote:
> I cannot say much about your first point, I have not heard of this
> issue.  Has a ticket been submitted?

No, sorry.

> This topic though is about LFS, not CLFS XML.  Even if LFS must
> re-invent the wheel, surely contacting those who have already invented
> it would be of some benefit?  Even just emailing the list, or one of the
> developers, or being in IRC pinging us with questions, would involve
> help unite efforts and save valuable time.

OK. There is, however, one more thing that I have already mentioned in
one of the "x86_64 bug" threads. CLFS does not take advantage of the
fact that in many situations (referred to as "not-really-cross") the
host can execute target binaries. For such situations, work is underway
to create a third build method, that switches from cross-compiling to
the native method after glibc, not after the entire Chapter 5. The aim
is to future-proof the toolchain against such "compilers incompatible
with the host glibc or headers" bugs, without losing the above-mentioned
advantage due to cross-compiling. There are, however, difficulties on
this way, and there is really nothing to demonstrate yet. Also, CLFS
should stay for really-cross build scenarios.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov