[LFS Trac] #2094: Add a new section for build results

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Sun Oct 21 16:15:00 PDT 2007

Greg Schafer wrote:
> Umm, not sure why the CLFS guys are apparently getting their knickers in a
> knot. The issue is very plain and simple:
>
>   - CLFS mostly uses *CROSS* compilation
>   - LFS always uses *NATIVE* compilation
>
> If someone wants to build for ppc then why should they have to resort to
> cross compilation when native compilation works perfectly well, and is in
> fact preferred because it's less complicated? Same goes for pure x86_64,
> sparc, etc. Implying that non-x86 arches are somehow the sole domain of
> CLFS is patently absurd.

No Greg the issue is that we have had some support questions related to
this new branch, and the normal fixes we provide will not work because
of the differences in the build methods. I'm all for LFS having support
for other architectures, but they need to have the resources available
to support it. Troubleshooting CLFS is different than troubleshooting LFS.
> Of course, multilib is another kettle of fish. LFS is a long way from
> supporting it and this is where CLFS knowledge can be learned from. But as
> I've said in the past, I personally think multilib x86_64 is far more
> trouble than its worth for your average Joe Sixpack which is why I haven't
> pursued it.. (yet).
Multilib is different animal all in it's own self.