[LFS Trac] #2094: Add a new section for build results

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 21 17:30:14 PDT 2007

Jim Gifford wrote:
> We were??  I sure wasn't and neither was Ryan. Your trying to design the
> chroot method of CLFS into LFS for other architectures, now your
> stepping into an area I would consider us the experts in. So why go
> their without cooperation with CLFS.

Why do I need to personally consult the project lead when I want to base
decisions on technical info in your books that is publicly available for
all to read and use? I didn't steal text and (to my knowledge) we didn't
use any of the specific commands from your book, and as of now, none of
your patches. Are you saying that if I want to build packages from
source on my PowerPC or Sparc machine I need to first consult with the
CLFS leads? That's very silly. By saying that I consulted CLFS, I mean
that I used your book as a starting point for several decisions. But
that was very early on, and as of now, to the best of my knowledge
nothing from CLFS remains in the branch. Far more information came from
DIY, which btw, Greg, if I haven't given enough attribution, I apologize
and will work to fix that.

> You seem to come and go when you want. You start something then leave
> and them come back and start something. If you leave again are their
> resources in place that can do this work for the other architectures
> besides x86_64?

I don't see why this is even a concern to you, but it is a fair enough
observation. Real life gets in the way. Would you prefer that I go back
and remove all the things I have contributed in LFS and CLFS land,
because I don't have enough commitment to support it indefinitely?

> It seems like you created a branch to play around with,
> and now your trying to get it in the mainline.

I'm sorry it appears that way to you. Go back and read the list
archives. I'm happy to merge items from the branch over, if that is what
other people want. But I'm also just as happy to do my own thing in the
branch as I have time and as the mood hits me, and never have one bit of
it merged to trunk. That's the entire reason why I named the branch
'jh'. So that it would be obvious that the stuff there are items that I
personally wanted to play with and pursue and may have nothing to do
with 'real' LFS.

> To quote yourself your
> not a "hardcore developer", but your trying to influence the direction
> of LFS to meet your needs.

It's possible that I said such a thing, but I sure don't recall it. Can
you point me as to where?

--
JH