udev rules changes

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 19:17:51 PDT 2007

Brian,
  I noticed that you changed the rules files quite a bit.  I've not
looked at the layout much before and have a couple of questions.

1. There is a doc directory that explains each rule file.  Is there a
reason that we can't just incorporate these .txt files as comments in
the rules files themselves?

2. I would be in favor of changing the dialout group to tty which would
allow us to drop several rules.

3. I think the 51- rules should be renamed to 55- to allow users to
place their own rules between the udev default and ours without
modifying either.

4. It states in the book that continuation of rules are not allowed with
a backslash-newline combination.  In udev-116's udev_rules_parse.c, it
looks like backslashes are recognized.  The function is parse_file and
starts at line 657 of the file.  Checking git, it appears that this has
been available since 20 Dec 2004:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=commit;h=9f8dfa19cfd2b502bf794f39a421cbb7c4cc0404

This was released in udev-051.

If continuation lines are indeed allowed, I think we can make our rules
with long lines look better with this feature.  We would also need to
change the book.

  -- Bruce