SOLVED Debian Lenny issue (was Re: Bootstrap GCC Pass 1 or 2? (was Re: Resolution))

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Sep 2 22:45:35 PDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 10:56:51AM +1000, Greg Schafer wrote:
> Therefore, I think Alex's analysis is mostly correct. ie: it's a
> Debian-only 32-bit host multilib issue. Specifically, it's the method they
> use to set up the include dirs on a 32-bit host. But frankly, I don't know
> enough about multilib to judge whether this obviously non-standard setup
> is kosher or not. However, it does make sense and I can see why they've
> done it. In a typical 64-bit multilib host setup, this kind of header
> arrangement is not needed because the 64-bit Glibc headers are 32-bit
> compatible (at least I think that's the case, not sure..)

Perhaps a clue in the right direction: according to my logs, the
headers_install target in the kernel source run on a x86_64 machine will
install both i386-specific and x86_64-specific headers to /usr/include.
It seems at first glance that the preferred method is to stick
everything in one include directory. Perhaps they're using header stubs
similar to what Ryan used to generate in his cross-lfs scripts which
auto-detect the correct headers to use? Need to look closer...

--
JH