--with-arch=i486 (was Re: Merging the jh branch to trunk)

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Sep 15 13:51:03 PDT 2007

Robert Connolly wrote:
> This should also work:
> ./configure...
> echo "CFLAGS += -march=i486" > configparms
> make
>
> Instead of an Sed command. The 'configparms' file is lightly documented in
> the 'INSTALL' file, and is the suggested way to override Makefile parameters.
> This is a powerfull way to have very fine grained control over the build
> process, and might be overkill for this purposes. It showcases a neat Glibc
> feature though.

Thanks Robert. I actually like this one, because it does just what I'd
want it to do, I think. Simply add -march=i486 to the default CFLAGS
already present in the build system.

I'm getting ready to apply the change to Glibc, I'll hold off for a
little bit to allow time for people to comment. And, of course, if we
decide to use the above, I'll do a quick test run first.

--
JH