Choosing appropriate keymaps and fonts

taipan67 sysadm.taipan67 at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 16 04:37:13 PDT 2007

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How does one go about choosing the correct keymaps and fonts for their system?  I've read over chapter07/console.html several times but still have a couple of questions.
>
> What I'm trying to do is configure a system to have a UK keymap and have a UTF-8 capable console.

This is what i have at the moment to achieve the same objective :-

UNICODE="1"
KEYMAP="uk"
KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS="euro2 windowkeys"
LEGACY_CHARSET="iso-8859-15"
FONT="LatArCyrHeb-16"

The 'euro2' thing still doesn't generate a Euro symbol, so that needs
work. I also chose iso-8859-15 instead of iso-8859-1 in the hope of
getting said Euro-symbol...

Ken Moffat has composed a 'uk-utf8' keymap, but the download link
doesn't seem to work - Ken, is there any chance of another attempt to
make this available?
> Similarly, for fonts, how do I determine which ones are UTF-8 capable and what flags I need to pass to setfont, via the FONT variable, so that it will display correctly?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt.

As Alexander said, fonts with a 'psfu' suffix are supposed to be
unicode-compatible.

Hope that helps, taipan