7.0 Goals

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Sep 16 17:38:09 PDT 2007

Greg Schafer wrote:
> The bottom line is this: the current build method works on the assumption
> that a non-bootstrapped GCC-Pass2 and Ch 6 GCC produce identical
> byte-for-byte compilers compared to what would have been produced had they
> been bootstrapped. This is a test I perform myself from time to time and
> it needs to be done every time we upgrade to a new major GCC version.

I've done a test. Hopefully I made the correct assumptions here:

* Build as per usual up to gcc-pass2

* Build gcc-pass2 according to instructions *execpt* do not add
-fomit-frame-pointer to XCFLAGS in gcc/Makefile.in and do not use
--disable-bootstrap. Use DESTDIR to install to $LFS/sources/gcc-bootstrap

* Clean and build gcc-pass2 exactly according to book instructions,
meaning with -fomit-frame-pointer and --disable-bootsrap. Install to
$LFS/sources/gcc-nobootstrap

* diff -r gcc-bootstrap gcc-nobootstrap

I'm getting differences on the binaries gcc, g++, c++ and cpp. The sizes
are even different. I'm also getting differences on the libraries. If
I'm testing this incorrectly, Greg, please let me know what needs to change.

--
JH