MTU manipulation through lfs-bootscripts: has it been deprecated?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 07:33:08 PDT 2007

On 9/18/07, Jens Stroebel <drifter at bcsoft.de> wrote:
>                         Hello beautiful people :)
>
> I was in a situation which prompted (unfortunately) for lowering the MTU
> of a network-device to assure functionality as planned ....
>
> (r8169 driver, 8168B/8111 NIC)
>
> While looking at the actual bootscripts and searching a bit/asking my
> way around, I came across
>
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/browser/trunk/bootscripts/contrib/sysconfig/network-devices/services/mtu?rev=4187
>
> which is a service script allowing one to set the MTU of a network
> device via the same mechanism which sets it up at boot-time.
>
> As this script is (no longer?) part of the LFS-bootscripts, I was asking
> myself why this is the case...?

The stuff in contrib/ isn't officially supported, but it should be
usable. Neither the network service framework nor the mtu service have
changed since I've been around. Just install it in
sysconfig/network-devices/services and drop in an appropriate config
in ifconfig.*. You might have to read the service script to grok the
appropriate config variables, but it should be really straightforward.
We might just want to move it into the supported scripts, anyway.

--
Dan