Aiming for 7.0

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 3 05:36:09 PST 2008

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 07:22:48 -0500, Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> 4. Ticket 2284, upgrade of Udev, and strip out udev-config. I doubt this
> needs its own branch. What sort of time/work is involved here?

I've already got the trivial patch that upgrades Udev, but doesn't strip out Udev-config.  It's been build-tested but not boot-tested currently.  It may have an impact on the minimum host-kernel pre-req, but I don't have anything to test on to confirm/deny this.  My proposal would be to just chuck it over the wall and see what breaks - this is trunk after all :-)  I certainly don't think it needs its own branch.

I think stripping out Udev-Config is fairly safe too - the discrepancies I flagged may cause some breakage in some esoteric use cases/devices but I think by and large people will still be able to boot and use LFS-based systems.  Any breakage can be easily rectified by including new rules in an LFS-format patch, which can then be submitted upstream for their consideration.

Regards,

Matt.