Moving to Grub2?

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 4 07:11:54 PST 2008

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> 2008/12/4 Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at gmail.com>:
>> OTOH, since (B)LFS doesn't support LVM2 anyway, I don't consider the
>> failure of this test a showstopper.
>
> But the docs are still in too bad shape. E.g., the wiki page
> http://grub.enbug.org/CommandList doesn't really document the new
> commands, but refers to the documentation of GRUB Legacy even if it
> doesn't apply. Texinfo documentation does exist in upstream
> repository, but not in the tarball. Even more, the texinfo docs don't
> contain the word "lvm", i.e., are incomplete.
>
> I am afraid that it would be too irresponsible to throw a new
> undocumented package upon our readers.

There are two alternatives:

1. Provide the option of using grub-legacy for x86 and x86_64 multilib
or lilo/bin86 for all architectures (except PowerPC). Include yaboot if
we wish to support PowerPC.

Pros: We are covered for all tested architectures.
Cons: There are options in an otherwise linear book, and it also
requires more maintenance and initial setup/writing.

2. Switch solely to lilo and don't bother supporting PowerPC with yaboot.

Pros: We are covered for all x86* archs/setups. Book is still linear and
there is only one supported bootloader.
Cons: lilo is not a popular bootloader, i.e., less user familiarity.
Requires very different configuration, must always run lilo when
configuration changes. PowerPC arch totally out of the question.

Are there any other alternatives?

--
JH