The new build method is in...

William Harrington wwh04660 at ucmo.edu
Sat Dec 6 22:14:01 PST 2008

On Dec 6, 2008, at 11:49 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> William Harrington wrote:
>
>> It's a community endeavor and each project with it's own goal. Each
>> project
>> may borrow from another, and each project needs to give credit to
>> the source.
>> If any part of the source is used credit needs to be given. It's a
>> black and
>> white line.
>
> William,
>   While I agree with your sentiments, there are a couple of issues.
> First of
> all, nobody is using another's *source*.  What is being done is
> incorporating
> 'methods and concepts'.
>
>   From a legal standpoint, source is copyrighted and methods are
> patented.
> What has been done so far has not violated those standards.
>
>   From an ethical standpoint, we need to credit the persons who
> developed the
> methods and concepts.  There is every intention of doing so.  If
> it's not been
> done yet, it is merely an oversight and it *will* be corrected.
>
>   -- Bruce

Source wasn't meant as code, it was meant as source. If you write a
document and you use any
part of the document, you cite the source. That is the source, not
code. And you don't need to quote methods and concepts. If you borrow
from someone's mind, they are the source as the mind is part of the
person you used their information.

-William