Initial console problem

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Feb 15 12:14:21 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 03:19:43PM +0200, Darius wrote:

> Now I'm trying to use UDEV. I make rootfs with empty /dev directory.
> Below are listed my inittab, rcS, udev.conf and S10udev init scripts:

 First, this is the wrong list, it's for book development issues.
The book doesn't cover arm processors, you might do better with
support issues on clfs-support (I think clfs-embedded and
clfs-sysroot both support _some_ arm variants).

 But, this sounds like the general problem that the kernel *needs*
/dev/null and /dev/console to exist before it can run whatever
passes for init.  With very recent versions of udev, I think we can
manage by putting the nodes in /lib/udev or something like that, but
it never does any harm to create those two devices.

HTH.
ĸen