Happy Birthday LFS

Steve Prior sprior at geekster.com
Sat Feb 23 17:16:47 PST 2008

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> The LFS project is almost nine years old. LFS 1.0 was released on
> December 16, 1999. That was the year I had moved to Canada, before my
> immigration was even finalized. Earlier that year I started on the LFS
> project.

Gerard,

I came across and built my first LFS system in early 2001 after having
been a Unix (AIX) user and administrator since 1988.  In a very short
time after getting my first LFS box running, things that would have been
very intimidating before became child's play.  Early in 2002 I set up my
third LFS box and it is still in continuous use today.  Aside from the
education value, it is my favorite distro for server use.  I think that
it would be great for some college to offer a class centered around LFS
- start with a box full of parts and the LFS LiveCD at the beginning of
the semester and end up with a LAMP server at the end, all built from
source.

Steve