LiveCD or No LiveCD?

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 08:29:05 PST 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote (somewhat reordered):

> I think we should just leave the project as quiescent, not kill it.  A live
> CD is useful, but it doesn't have to be completely current. For someone to
> use it, with a more current version of LFS, they will just need to download
> the sources separately.

But then, it has no advantage over, say, Ubuntu.

> Just leave it alone for now and we can look into updating it when a change
> makes it necessary.

And here is a problem: it deviates too much from both LFS and BLFS, and contains
a lot of undocumented material (e.g., the whole process of setting up the
language, guessing the video driver, and the workaround for iwlwifi bugs in
/etc/modprobe.conf--and note that the guessing process with break with Xorg-7.3,
and nobody knows when the iwlwifi workaround is safe to remove). It may be
easier to start from scratch instead of "updating" this quirky CD.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov