LiveCD or No LiveCD?

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Mon Feb 25 10:03:51 PST 2008

Selon Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org>:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> It has recently been suggested to me that the LFS LiveCD project be
> killed. The main arguments for this are, essentially:

To build IPCop for everyone, we made a different solution in place than a LiveCD
that is simplier.

We have the toolchain packaged available for download.
Package is big (50 to 70 MB) depending of the version.

There is no problem to boot a machine, you just use the existing system to
unpack the toolchain and enter in the chroot.

It has proven to work and now you could still build IPCop v1.4 (wich is LFS-5.1
based) on a recent distrib (and even on a 64b distrib using linux32)

There is another gain, it reduce the overall build time from 20/30% (including
some BLFS parts). Using ccache add another gain to the rebuild time.
You could rebuild (after the toolchain) in 80 minutes on an XP2400+

Gilles