LiveCD or No LiveCD?

Julio Meca Hansen lydianknight at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 10:37:38 PST 2008

Hi Jeremy,

I'm not sure if my opinion would count as I'm not a formal developer of LFS,
more of an user trying to track some new packages and trying to inform if
there's any anomaly in some of them, but, well... here goes my two cents:

LiveCD or not LiveCD? LiveCD without any need of thinking about it...

Why? first of all, if we talk about using ubuntu (as I've read) forces you
to use apt-get to install the packages needed for compilation of LFS (and
apt-get is NOT an intuitive step for every users even if they rely on
Synaptic or any other form of package management tool). The ideal startup
for LFS compilation is... start compiling with the book steps, not having to
take an extra step to ensure your host have the required packages to start
the process. the LFS LiveCD has all the packages you need, a version of the
book, a browser, a console... that's just everything you could need to start
the journey.

Second, the LiveCD is compiled 'the LFS way', that's... every package has
its headers placed in the /usr/include hierarchy, so you don't have to
search for -dev/-devel packages, but...

What I would suggest is (and it's my opinion but it doesn't have to be the
absolute path to follow):

Keep the LiveCD with the bare minimum packages needed to run, I think a
better configuration would be something like:

- base system (with the latest kernel and toolchain included (ideally))
- packages (or not, as there's the option of -nosrc iso image)
- X11 + xterm

and with the graphical desktop... hmm... do we really need XFCE? it's a
great environment but... what about twm with just two windows started at
startup (an xterm session and seamonkey/firefox)?

it should keep the package list for building the LiveCD at a relative
minimum, and it would be faster to load than having to rely on any other
form of graphics interface, but... that's my opinion, of course...

What do you think?

Julio