Happy Birthday LFS

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 25 17:14:29 PST 2008

> it would be great for some college to offer a class centered around LFS
> - start with a box full of parts and the LFS LiveCD at the beginning of
> the semester and end up with a LAMP server at the end, all built from
> source.

You know, it's done already. Over the years quite a few universities and
colleges have used the LFS project as material for hands-on UNIX
projects. I myself have even taught such a class myself a number of
years ago on the SUN Solaris platform as part of the SUN Solaris System
Admin course. It ended up being a very informative lab trying to build
SUN from scratch (in the binary sense. I didn't get to do a proper From
Scratch using source code only. That isn't so easily done on SUN systems
where not all source code is even freely available).