LiveCD or No LiveCD?

Clyde Forrester ccf3 at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 25 20:00:44 PST 2008

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> It has recently been suggested to me that the LFS LiveCD project be
> killed. The main arguments for this are, essentially:
>
> 1) It is currently unmaintained
> 2) It removes the essential prerequisite of being able to configure a
> Linux system
> 3) It leads to less testing from other hosts
> 4) A seeming lack of community interest in contributing. Especially,
> essential testing (and reports on the results of tests!) on varied
> hardware does not seem to be taking place
>
> As you may guess, I have mixed feelings about this. But after reflecting
> on it a bit, my hesitancy to agree comes mostly from personal attachment
> to the CD and perhaps not what is best for LFS.
>
> At this point I need community input. I realize that many of you may use
> and appreciate the CD, just as I do. But realistically, this project
> will die of its own if it does not get some help. And if that happens,
> then LFS would be better off removing the dead weight.
>
> I have some energy and some ideas to put back into the project, but only
> if I get some help with development and testing. I need to know two things:
>
> * Does the community still want the LiveCD project? (Consider that a
> couple of the arguments above imply that the LFS LiveCD by its nature is
> degrading the quality of LFS)
>
> * If so, is the community prepared to lend help in keeping it alive?
>
> If the answer to both questions is not a solid yes, I'm afraid that
> we'll have no choice but to kill the project.
>
> --
> JH

I've done dozens of installs over the years, but now it's time to go
beyond the George Jetson method and get my hands dirty, and ...well
...learn something.

My experience with LFS so far:
LFS didn't get along with 64-bit Ubuntu.
CLFS was beyond me.
LFS didn't like some of the software versions in 32-bit Kubuntu being
"too new".
The LFS LiveCD worked. It just plain worked. That matters.

Also, I have [*loser alert*] dial-up internet access. But I can always
go to a LUG meeting and download and burn a CD.

As to newbs and support load:  I'm not doing this because I already know
this stuff and have a masochistic streak; I'm doing it to learn. Once I
succeed, I owe a debt of gratitude to LFS and the LiveCD, and honor
requires that I contribute as I am able to.

Maybe you need to analyze the need, and redefine the project. If it is
to be a learning tool then I should not expect it to work on all
varieties of bleeding edge platforms. If it is meant to explore and test
installation procedures on experimental hardware, then brand it as such.
I personally have need for a reliable tool for implementing the LFS
learning experience.

Once I have done LFS to my satisfaction, I expect to continue learning
with BLFS and CLFS, but for day to day Linux use I will be trying the
more pragmatic production distros.

If the project dies, at least I will still have the CD I burned. I am
thankful for that.

Clyde Forrester