LiveCD or No LiveCD?

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 20:26:53 PST 2008

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> The LiveCD exists as standing proof that the LFS book is
> sound and produces a working system.

Here I disagree. Because of numerous deviations and wagons of extras, it proves
nothing. Here is a counterexample:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-support/2007-September/033586.html
. In this case, the network card worked only because the LiveCD included
pcmcia-utils. So the choice is, in fact, between deviations/extras and a
non-working CD for a non-negligible amount of users. I think this also has
something to do with the fundamental conflict between LFS not intending to be a
distro, and the LiveCD being a binary distro in some sense.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov