LiveCD or No LiveCD?

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Tue Feb 26 02:48:54 PST 2008

Selon "Alexander E. Patrakov" <patrakov at gmail.com>:

> 2008/2/25, Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org>:
> >  I grant that it is a convenience to start from a system that
> >  you know has worked for others in building LFS, instead of perhaps
> >  trudging through setting up another distro.
>
> The point is that the LFS target audience is already familiar with
> another distro (for veterans, this is a previous version of LFS) and
> has already set it up.

There is two different needs using LFS :
- first usage is building your own system you will directly use on the same
machine and I understand LiveCD could be a great help to make the machine ready
to use,

- secondly, you could use the LFS way to produce an installable system to be
used on another machine. In this case, you already have a system running (LFS
based or your favorite distro) and the goal is to produce an iso, a bootable usb
key or netbootable system. In that case, you may not need the LiveCD.
But it is very valuable that everyone with whatever system installed could build
the system. In that case, the prebuild toolchain is simplier (no need to be able
to boot the building machine, it's already running).
Prebuild toolchain allow to workaround bugs from old or new building system to
produce the result in the form of an .iso,an  .img, ...

Goals are differents, tools are differents.

Gilles