What next? [Was: Re: LiveCD or No LiveCD?]

Thomas Trepl thomas at equinox.homelinux.org
Tue Feb 26 13:28:49 PST 2008

Hi all,

Am Dienstag, 26. Februar 2008 15:49:06 schrieb Jeremy Huntwork:
> Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> etc.pp...

Before adding another comment, i'd like to pay tribute to Jeremy for having
the courage to ask such somehow blasphemous questions.  This is what has
generated a quite intensive discussion where many people came up with good
ideas and input. Many of them perhaps would never come up. I personally, i
like to see that those discussion can happen and can lead to meaningfull
results without any flame war. Thats really good and that is what makes me
believe that the health in the project isn't soooo bad.

I just want to jump on the train driving to package management. One the one
side i think it would be very useful but in the next moment i ask me, useful
for whom? For me?  I dont think that it is much of help if i have to create
my packages by my own. If i need to do that, i faster have installed the
software without building the package first.  So if there is some kind of
package management, I'll expect that there is a location, where i can pull
packages for me to install. With dependency tracking? This would lead the LFS
project to where we allways said we never want to be: A distribution. What is
the educational factor of having a PM?
On the other side, why not trying this one? But personally, i think that there
are too much other distros that the world isnt really in the need for another
one.

For the LiveCD I would like to see it in the spirit of LFS. Not that a LiveCD
only contains LFS stuff - it would be much too few, much BLFS is needed too
to become a useful CD. No, in the spirit of telling how it works, not showing
that it has somehow worked. I mean, what if there is a description which
shows up [one|the] way of how to create a CD. There maybe package managing
techniques ala DESTDIR=xxx useful. Using this guide on top of the knowledge
gained from the LFS book plus BLFS, the experienced reader should learn as
much as needed for building his/her own CD. The one makes a minimalistic one,
the other a Knoppix-like monster and i would setup one for a PPC without a
VGA. So, give the people the knowledge on how to create a CD, not the CD.
Of course, it would be nice if there would be one as something like
the "proof of concept".

The above is all nonsense, isn't it?

--
Thomas