What next? [Was: Re: LiveCD or No LiveCD?]

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 14:38:38 PST 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Gerard Beekmans
<gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> > If someone who had just encountered a PC 2 weeks ago stumbled onto LFS,
>  > managed to work their way through it and came out the other end
>  > successful, I'd applaud them! Sure, they wouldn't have approached LFS
>
>  Maybe it wasn't meant entirely serious but there have been a few people
>  over the years whose very first experience with Linux was LFS. They went
>  straight from Windows to LFS. Before the LiveCD even existed. Speak of a
>  learning curve but they persevered through the curve and came out
>  knowing a lot more about Linux in general than many other LFS users.
>  Then those people contributed back to the LFS project in useful ways.
>
>  You never want to limit the audience. You may miss out on progress.
>
>  True, LFS isn't targeted to those people, but if they choose to try
>  anyways, let's help them out as best as we can.
>
>  Gerard
>  --

LFS was my upbringing, but I was more of a dos user then a windows
user at the time.  (LFS 3.2 days, if I recall).  Someone let me use a
linux shell account for a while, and wanted to use bash again.

mandrake,  I managed to install it, but never did find a commandline,
tried slackware next, but there was more software then I could sort
out at the time.  LFS was a good system for me to start with, as it
had limited software and I had to add on what I wanted.  The slackware
book had some basic commandline documentation.

I don't think I was all that unique, and I hope others have found it
just as enlightening.

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------