What next? [Was: Re: LiveCD or No LiveCD?]

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 23:35:27 PST 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:57:56 +0300
Petr Ovtchenkov <ptr at island.corbina.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 26 February 2008 21:37, TheOldFellow wrote:
> > <skip>
> >
> > For instance, if the answer to that included a package manager (for
> > which I would vote), then many of the difficulties of maintaining the
> > LiveCD go away.
>
> Well, do you have answer for: assuming package management, what
> the key difference between LFS [in future] and Gentoo? This question
> is interesting because of target audience and goals.

Gentoo is run by them them, LFS is run by US.

This is called Competition, and is, in general, a Good Thing.  The
reason is that it encourages innovation, and innovation means
progress.

The alternative, called a Planned Economy, leads to bureaucrats and
other parasites who tell you what is best for you while stealing your
lunch.

R.