What next? [Was: Re: LiveCD or No LiveCD?]

R. Quenett qcal at quen.net
Wed Feb 27 05:17:45 PST 2008

on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 7:07 TheOldFellow wrote:

"  provided
"  the educational stuff is retained.

But /what/ educational stuff?  The LFS slogan is your distro - your
rules but the way the educational stuff in lfs works seems to me to
more often resemble YOUR education - OUR choices - the way WE insist
that you address them.

How many people here are learning, in LFS, exactly the same thing, at
exactly the same level, in exactly the same way?  And why should
anyone feel good about demanding that anyone else also do exactly
that?  Each of us is an expert about some things at some level and
each of us is an absolute ignoramus about other things at other
levels.  Each of us wants to change some of that both in ourselves
and in others and each of us is absolutely right and correct in each
of those things.

Why isn't it YOUR education - YOUR choices - in the way that works
best for YOU?

How detailed and low level does each of us want to get?  Be able to
pick apart a makefile, do build configurations better by hand than
automatically, squash bugs and send brilliant patches upstream?
There are experts here that routinely do this and much more.  These
people have my genuine and undying admiration.  Could I learn to do
that, at least to some degree?  Yes, I could.  Do I want to?  After a
lot of thought, the answer is no, I don't.  So for actual use, I'm
doing an actual distro like many who are using lfs.

Even if I did decide to do it and did get good at it, what next?  Am
I to get even more detailed at it?  Kernel hacking?  A great firewall
distro like IPcop?  If I go the detailed route, where do I stop?  Not
before I am capable, in six days or less, of building my own chip fab
and carving my own ones and zeroes out of wood?  And if I did all of
this and more successfully, and had a life and made a living and saw
one or more other people once in a while and was entirely content and
happy about it too, why should I insist that anyone (nevermind
everyone:) should do exactly the same thing in exactly the same way?

For me, the answer is that I would like to have systems that I mostly
understand, that I can tweak more or less successfully in ways that I
can fix when I break them, that I can understand in considerable
detail what happened to them when I change them and quickly,
successfully and with confidence revert to what I had previously and,
above all, that I can use. I need to decide for me what I need to
know to be able to do these things and how to learn them.  I find lfs
an invaluable resource in being able to move in those directions and
I greatly appreciate any help I get from lfs or these lists or
elswhere.

I may be wrong, but I'm still going to do my education, as well as my
distro, my way.

Thanks for reading.

$0.002

Pay your own bills.