What if the book wasn't a book anymore

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 27 21:36:04 PST 2008

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> What if LFS wasn't in book form anymore. What if it's an interactive
> program instead. A 100% merge of LFS, BLFS, ALFS, <any>LFS.
>
> It starts with running the LFS program (be it a real program or
> collection of scripts). What is now the LFS book is on-screen instead.
> You read the chapter portions as you work your way through an installation.
>
> You still have 100% control but you can decide fully manual (today's
> style) or fully automatic style (when you've done it before and you just
> want to get the end result).
>
> As a package is installed (manually or automatic) present the user with
> a wealth of information. Talk about the package that's in process of
> being installed. Talk about whatever makes sense - anything from a
> high-level overview to nitty gritty details where/why/how to configure
> the package (prior to, during, or after the installation).

<Snip>

OK, so a more pronounced idea has been expressed, and I do like where
it's going.  Now where to start?  Proposals to solidify those ideas?

But I think this should have waited...one thing at a time here.  I'm
kind of thinking that it's easiest to start from the package manager
since everything else will have to meld around it.  What are the goals
for the package manager?  Is it a complete installation tool, or is it
something minimal along the lines of install-log?  There is already a
thread about this.  I almost posted it here.  I really don't think
anybody can provide anything better than "it sounds goo" or "it doesn't"
without the PM thread hashed out.

-- DJ Lucas