Planning an overall direction for LFS

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 28 21:01:49 PST 2008

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>> The option to bootstrap a temporary toolchain is just an example. But it
>> should give you an idea of how we might make LFS a bit modular.
>
> I agree, but maybe some other example modules would make the idea even more clear.

Well, another example may be i18n. It's unfortunate (depending on how
you look at it) that so much code should cater to en_US, but, let's face
it, if you're an English speaking American (or even Canadian), you
probably have no need for i18n support on your personal systems. But if
you need full UTF-8 ability you'll want to incorporate the necessary
changes to your system. And, more than that, you may want to _learn_
about UTF-8, what it does, and why it is necessary. Depending on your
choice, the book is catered to fit your needs.

Another idea (this one includes BLFS): you want a strict LAMP server
with no other non-essential programs (except maybe SSH, wget and vim).
You choose at the beginning that you would like those programs and the
book/instructions/automated build that is chosen includes those and
their dependencies.

Of course, having given the above example, I can't help but think that
there should still be some viable way of accessing what is currently
BLFS material strictly as a reference point, especially for items that
you may want to add after the initial build.

Still thinking some of this through...

--
JH