Planning an overall direction for LFS

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Feb 29 08:53:50 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 07:46:41AM -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Alan Lord <alanslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  ---
> >  So perhaps the LFS project becomes some sort of "course" (and I use the
> >  term loosely). The "modules" of which, could be something like:
> >
> >  * Learning the basics (Command Line, cmmi, security, toolchain, blah blah)
> >
> >  * Scripting/Automating (A subject about how LFS gets built, the tools,
> >  the processes involved etc) [This is where PM would probably go too]
> >
> >  * Basic Useful Applications (A sort of mini BLFS where we get
> >  networking, X and maybe Firefox/TB type apps installed)
> >
> >  * Building your Distro (Completing the core build-out adding your chosen
> >  apps and utilities and configuring)
> >
> >  * Making your Distro distributable (How to make a liveCD of "your
> >  distro", how to make an installer script...)
>
> I think it would be really cool if this is how it worked.

Yeah, this is actually a pretty good way to look at it.

Gerard asked me to compile a list of current suggestions that have been
made in these threads so that no ideas get lost. I was thinking to make
a wiki page somewhere in the current LFS Trac, formatted in such a way
that it is easy to see them at once.

I haven't started it yet, and may not get a chance to do it until
tomorrow. If anyone feels so inclined to start, I'd be grateful for the
help.

--
JH