Planning an overall direction for LFS

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Fri Feb 29 09:44:04 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:22:24AM -0600, Rich Edelman wrote:
> While not all package managers keep configure and build as separate steps (in
> fact, I'm not aware of any that actually do have them as separate steps),

The package-user method's current scripts do.  However, I'm not sure if
that really counts, or if the fact that the current scripts treat them
separately means they always have to be kept separate.  The configure
function is what I use to apply patches and seds and other stuff, too,
but that could also be moved into the "build" step.

> I think the editors should be concerned only with making sure the commands
> work in jhalfs or in a copy & paste mode.

As long as they're split up sanely, I think that would work.  There's
only one way to *really* test it, though, and that's to run through it
with some sort of PM system.  Maybe a dummy system would be enough to
verify that the right things are happening at the right times, but I'm
not really sure how you'd test that either.

Hmm...