GMP & MPFR think I'm cross compiling!

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Nov 23 10:16:14 PST 2008

Hi all,

I'm trying to compile LFS trunk + local package update patches under a Windows host, Kubuntu-8.10 guest Virtualbox environment using jhalfs trunk.

I see the following output in chapter 5's GCC build logs:

checking host system type... none-pc-linux-gnu
checking whether we are cross compiling... yes
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking whether vsnprintf works... probably
configure: WARNING: cannot check for properly working vsnprintf when cross compiling, will assume it's ok

This occurs under the configure runs for all 3 stages of GMP & MPFR, but not for any of the other configure runs.

Whilst I'm not overly concerned by this, as it's going to assume that vsnprintf works correctly, I wonder whether this mis-detection of cross-compiling will impact on anything else in the build.

My 'configure'/autoconf foo has gone as far as figuring out that it thinks I'm cross compiling because the build system type and host system type are different.  I couldn't, though, figure out how it works out what my host system type is.  If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.  I'd rather fix up the configure script rather than override its detection using --host, as to me this is an obvious bug given that the other areas in the tree correctly detect the host type.

Thanks,

Matt.