GCC configure option "--disable-decimal-float"

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Fri Oct 3 19:13:58 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> I'm about to begin commits for package updates to LFS SVN.
> I'm reviewing things first and I noticed in DJ's book that
> the --disable-decimal-float parameter is passed in the GCC
> Pass1 configure command.
>
> This apparently is for the MPFR package which is built
> during GCC-Pass1.

Um no. It's actually for GCC, tho' the switch also has meaning for MPFR.

I guess DJ found reference to this switch in my GCC 4.3 notes. But I've
since realized it's probably not necessary (for DIY at least. It was never
applicable for the out-dated LFS build method).

To clarify, in DIY I build a super minimal Pass 1 GCC ie: with none of the
optional target libs, libmudflap, libssp, libgomp, etc. I initially
thought libdecnumber was one of these target libs but it's actually a
*host* lib in GCC parlance and doesn't get installed. Therefore the switch
doesn't really do what I initially thought it did. But I'll probably
keep it because it does result in a quicker build and a much smaller
libgcc.a. But I guess you could drop it.

Regards
Greg
--
http://www.diy-linux.org/