GCC configure option "--disable-decimal-float"

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 3 19:47:51 PDT 2008

Greg Schafer wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>

>> I'm about to begin commits for package updates to LFS SVN.
>> I'm reviewing things first and I noticed in DJ's book that
>> the --disable-decimal-float parameter is passed in the GCC
>> Pass1 configure command.
>>
>> This apparently is for the MPFR package which is built
>> during GCC-Pass1.
>>

> Um no. It's actually for GCC, tho' the switch also has meaning for MPFR.
>
> I guess DJ found reference to this switch in my GCC 4.3 notes. But I've
> since realized it's probably not necessary (for DIY at least. It was never
> applicable for the out-dated LFS build method).

Yes, it came from the post that Greg linked us to when discussing what
to do about gmp and mpfr not on the host:
http://www.diy-linux.org/pipermail/diy-linux-dev/2008-February/001192.html
I should have documented that.  Anyway, I also thought the switch was
for mpfr not being on the host system, and just used it verbatim.  Also
noted in that same thread is the mktime configure failure (it takes a
few moments to get passed it).  I had forgotten about that as well.  For
LFS, as Greg has already mentioned, appending
ac_cv_func_working_mktime=yes to the end of the configure line, skips
the test (at least for gawk).

-- DJ Lucas