[LFS Trac] #2200: Perl 5.10.0

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 5 11:36:42 PDT 2008

LFS Trac wrote:
> #2200: Perl 5.10.0
> ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  willimm  |        Owner:  lfs-book at linuxfromscratch.org
>      Type:  task     |       Status:  closed
> Changes (by bdubbs at linuxfromscratch.org):
>
>   * status:  new => closed
>   * resolution:  => wontfix
>   * milestone:  7.0 => 6.4
>
> Comment:
>
>  According to the website, 5.10.0 is a 'testing' version.
>
>  "For stable production use the maint branches are recommended."
>
>  We need to revisit this when the next 'maint' version is released.

Hmm.  We might want to review that further.  I wonder if the terminology
is the same as OpenLDAP's release strategy, where 'stable' is long since
mature code that doesn't have any new features, which in turn breaks
other 'stable' software.  They had a 5.9 branch and then released 5.10
from it.  Was 5.8 the testing version before 5.10 was released?

-- DJ Lucas