Perl Releases

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 5 12:11:21 PDT 2008

DJ Lucas wrote:

> Yes, I just sent a message on the same topic.  Maintenance means only
> bug/security fix - no new features that _will_ be required for newer
> 'stable' packages.  I think the latests_testing link is only there to
> suffice until 5.11 development line begins.  The development for Perl
> happens in traditional odd minor versions.

I just did some additional reading on CPAN. Read the FAQ
about source releases. It mentions that 5.6.0 was a maintenance
release to use. 5.10.0 is no different.

I think Bruce is too caught up in the word "testing". In Perl
devs minds, that "testing" simply means that the new maintenance
version hasn't been out long enough to have an update (or there
are none required at this time).

Read any other Perl site (Google if you have to). *Everything*
shows that 5.10.0 is the version to use right now.

--
Randy