make validate doesn't use validxml as a dependency

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 5 13:09:31 PDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> DJ Lucas wrote:
>
>> Randy McMurchy wrote:

>>> Then there is some problem with the Makefile because 'make lfs'
>>> which says it does validation runs clean without issues, but
>>> indeed 'make validate' chokes.
>>>

>> Why does the validate target have it's own code instead of depending on
>> validxml and then just echo that it checks OK?  I haven't tried this
>> yet, but it seems silly to me not to reuse code where we can.
>>

> I thought that validxml did too much, but I suppose that we could have:
>
> validate: validxml
>    @echo "Validation complete."
>
> Does that sound OK?

Not quite.  It depends on maketar.  The suggestion was premature.  It
just seemed that using the shared validation and scripting commands
would make maintenance easier later on when something changes..single
line dependencies and the like as well.

[dj at name25 BOOK]# make validate
Creating and cleaning /home/dj/tmp
Processing bootscripts...
Validating the book...
ls: cannot access lfs-bootscripts*.bz2: No such file or directory
<I hit CTRL+C here after waitng a while>
make: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
[dj at name25 BOOK]#