Coreutils-i18n patch

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 5 13:46:27 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Noted in DJ's book (I'll continue to refer to it as that
> even though his book is what will be SVN, he's the one
> that got all this stuff going) that we've dropped the
> i18n patch for Coreutils. IIRC, upstream won't touch it,
> and I think I remember there may have been a discussion
> about it here, but I want to revisit it to ensure that
> we're all good dropping it and/or keeping it.
>
> Alexander may have some good info here, as others may
> also, but I want to ensure the community is agreed as to
> the direction we take.
>
> I'm not an i18n person, so I really cannot contribute
> anything worthwhile other than bringing it up here.
>
> I'm going to update Coreutils to 6.12 without the patch
> and we can always add it if we determine it should be
> there. I simply don't know if it should or should not be.

That patch has been buggy in the past.  The current upstream version of
it does not apply to raw Coreutils-6.12, and it has been rejected by
upstream in the past.  While I can certainly munge that patch into
applying, I do not have any reliable way to test the changes other than
witnessing no change.

-- DJ Lucas